Data (or System) Migration
You've purchased a new CRM/ERP (or other database-centric) system and are looking forward to seeing how quickly you can reap all those benefits that were sold to you. But first you need to work out how to transfer all of your contacts, leads, opportunities and other valuable records out of your old system. How to start?
Assessing the Challenge
There are three essential steps to be considered in any database migration project:
- Extracting the data from your old system
- Formatting the data into the format required by your new system
- Importing the data into the new system
In most cases, the only way of getting data into your new system is via CSV files. These files must contain data in the exact format required by the new system - any deviation from the exact specification will result in errors in the import. Typical areas that cause the most problems are field lengths, missing data (fields that are mandatory in the new system but not in the old), address formats, date formats, currency formats, lookup data (drop-down fields that contain different values in the two systems) and many more.
Traditionally, this has meant many, many hours spent massaging the data in Excel, attempting an import, reviewing the errors and repeating the process until a clean import is obtained. Of course this must be done several times for each file to be imported as it's always necessary to trial the import process before "go live".
Fortunately, help is at hand...
Speed Up The Process With Import-ready Data
By using the latest data transformation tools and techniques, we can extract and re-format your data in a single step, such a way that it's import-ready. In other words, it's already in the format that your new system requires.
This has a number of advantages:
- the painful hours spent massaging data in Microsoft Excel are eliminated completely
- the process is repeatable - you can run as many tests as you like, tweaking the selection criteria between each run if required
- the final migration ("go-live") is predictable - it has already been tested and proven
- the logs from the import of "parent" records can be used to link the child records, e.g. once you've imported Company information, the IDs of those companies - generated by the import - can be used on the associated Contacts, ensuring that Contacts are imported against the correct parent Company
Perhaps your new system will be replacing multiple systems? No problem: we can extract and combine data from multiple data sources - even extracting data from spreadsheets, if required!
All of these benefits cut down the time taken to migrate complex data - which leads to a smoother and more accurate migration since extensive testing can be accommodated in the plan prior to the live migration.
How rcsb can help:
When you choose rcsb as your data migration partner, you're in good hands. An experienced Data Analyst will work with you every step of the way, guiding you through the entire process.
For a friendly discussion about your data migration needs, contact us today.